Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Reflecting on 15 years as a Catholic (March 22, 2008 - March 22, 2023)

A memory popped up on my Facebook account today reminding me that I have been a Catholic for 15 years now. The official date is March 22, 2008 because that was the date of the Easter Vigil that year. However, it is easier for me to remember the Easter Vigil every year than the date; although, March 22nd may be ingrained in my memory now. Ha!

For me to reflect on the last 15 years, I would first have to reflect on the first 10 years as a Catholic, which was Easter Vigil of 2018. In 2018, I was one year away from Ordination to the Order of the Permanent Diaconate but I did not know that at the time. That is the beauty of discernment, I prayed and discerned, my wife prayed and discerned, Bishop Joe and the Diocese of Austin prayed and discerned, and Holy Mother Church prayed and discerned. Only God knows and in God we trust. I know I trusted in God.

Since then, these past 5 years - four of which I have served as a deacon at my home parish, Saint Albert the Great Catholic Church, Austin, TX - have been an incredible journey growing in my Catholic faith, teaching my Catholic faith, and sharing my Catholic with those whom God has put in my path. During that entire time, my wife has been and continues to be my rock. It is only fitting because she was the one who led me to Christ because her love for Jesus so deep in her heart that for me to win her heart, I could not help but fall in love with Jesus as well.

Growing in my Catholic faith - I continue to learn so much about Catholicism. The more I learn, the more I realize that I still have so much more to learn, the more I desire to learn. I love reading all things Catholic, from the Vatican, the USCCB, Catholic news, apostolates, books, etc. I cannot learn enough. Unfortunately, there is also not enough time in the day to do what I need to do and what I want to do. But I trust that God has me learning what I need to learn to serve Him and His people as best as I can.

Teaching my Catholic faith. It started when Deacon David and his wife, Karen, invited me to teach a few classes for R.C.I.A. during Diaconal Formation. I could not turn them down because (1) it was something I needed to learn for Formation and (2) I was wanting for a chance to give back to a ministry that helped me with my own journey home to Rome. We were also helping teach classes with UNITAS Marriage Class and meeting with couples to discuss their FOCCUS relationship inventory results. However, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, I set aside my fears and, along with my brother deacons, taught on Catholic teachings via our "Catholic Teachings with the Deacons" live-stream programming. It was so much fun researching topics and preparing lessons each month. We did it for a whole year! These videos are still available on the parish's YouTube Channel. That lead to other opportunities to lead a men's retreat, give talks on marriage, etc.

Sharing my Catholic faith. Two months before Ordination, in 2019, Fr. Matt Iwuji approached me and charged me (and, by extension, my wife) with bringing back the marriage preparation ministry/class to Saint Albert the Great (after UNITAS ended a few years prior). We worked with Fr. Matt and he called the new pre-Cana ministry, CALLED TO BE ONE. From there, my wife and I formed a team of married couples around us and the rest is history. While these are classes that couples take to prepare for the Sacrament of Marriage, I use it as an opportunity to share my Catholic faith with them and encourage the couples to grow in faith together. From the start, I give them three challenges: (1) Go to Mass; (2) Pray together and pray for each other; and (3) If they are cohabitating, then practice chaste living (even if they are not cohabitating). Just this past fall, my wife and I had the opportunity to lead a Diocesan Pre-Cana weekend retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belton, Texas. It was wonderful!

Moreover, over the years, I have celebrated lots of baptisms, weddings, and funerals. Through it all, I always return to the source and summit of my Catholic faith and diakonia, the Eucharist. I activate (a word that I learned from Fr. Charlie) the graces of all seven Sacraments every day. That, and I have my wife right there by my side and all the prayers from our families, friends, my brother clergy, fellow parishioners, and well-wishers. It has been an incredible 15 years! To usher in the next 5 years, I am doing something that I never thought I would do - sing the Exsultet (Easter Proclamation) at the Easter Vigil. Pray for me! I am praying for you and your families.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...