Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Ngon Quá Foodie Blog: Maxine's Gumbo House

I recently celebrated 15 years as a Catholic (see "Reflecting on 15 years as a Catholic (March 22, 2008 - March 22, 2023)" https://dcnphuc2019.blogspot.com/2023/03/reflecting-on-15-years-as-catholic.html) so, taking a brother deacon's advice, my wife and I enjoyed a nice dinner to celebrate. He suggested Pappadeaux and, while it is always a good restaurant and the food is excellent, I wanted to stay closer to home. However, I was craving gumbo so we decided on Maxine's Gumbo House in Manor, Texas. It was our first time to Maxine's and we enjoyed the food tremendously!

We started with the boudin as our appetizer and it was cooked to perfection. The rice was seasoned wonderful, the skin had a nice char to it, and the fresh green onions added freshness to the dish. Of course, I ate my with Louisiana hot sauce and it was delish!


My wife ordered the Crawfish Etoufee and let enjoy a bite (or two) and it was delicious. The creamy blonde roux was so tasty and there it was crawfish galore in every bite! She really enjoyed the dish but had to take leftover home. It was a healthy-size serving for sure!


I had the Jambalaya with a cup of Seafood Gumbo. Our waitress was not kidding when she said that the cup was more like a bowl. Of course, I added the Louisiana hot sauce. The seafood was cooked perfectly, especially the oysters and shrimp. Every bite was amazing! By the time I got to the Jambalaya, I was starting to get full. However, I pushed through and had several spoonful and every bite was delicious. I am definitely going to enjoy the leftover Jambalaya for lunch the next day!



Finally, we rounded our dining experience with the Bread Pudding and it was delectable! My wife and I each took a bite of the Bread Pudding and we just looked at each other for a second. We then, literally at the same time, commented how delicious the Bread Pudding was. I have not had condensed milk in a while and the taste of it just brought back so many good memories of good eating in the past. It was amazing!

I am not sure why it took us so long to try Maxine's Gumbo House but I am glad we finally did. They are definitely on our list of restaurants to eat at in the future, for sure!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...