Monday, April 29, 2024

Report from the KofC State Convention 2024 - Days 2 & 3 (4/27-28/2024)


One of my favorite parts of attending a Catholic event is we always start with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. The Eucharist is always the "source and summit" of all that we do as Catholics and this is particularly true for the Knights of Columbus.

We started Day 2 of the KofC State Convention with Mass celebrated by his Eminence Daniel Cardinal DiNardo (Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston). I met the current Assistant to the State Chaplain, Deacon Simon Resendez, Jr. (Diocese of Lubbock), yesterday and was blessed to serve alongside him at Mass. He was the Deacon of the Altar and I was the Deacon of the Word. We shared the same vesting room with our bishops and priests so it was fun to chat with them before Mass. The liturgist and MC were there to give us last minute instructions and then it was time to line up for the procession. Now, if you have never seen a procession of altar servers, deacons, priests, bishops, and Knights of Columbus Sir Knights, it is an awe-inspiring sight to behold.

Before Mass started, the Executive Secretary and good friend of mine, Sir Knight Mike McLaughlin, looked at me and commented: "You have a confused look on your face." I chuckled but, inside, I was thinking to myself: "How should I place the Book of the Gospels on the altar" How should I wait for the celebrant and Deacon of the Altar to kiss the altar?' and other thoughts. However, as soon as the procession started and I saw my brother Sir Knights lined up with swords drawn, all of those thoughts disappeared and the Holy Spirit guided me. Bow before the Altar. Go up the stairs behind the altar servers. Place the Book of the Gospels on the altar. Wait for the celebrant and Deacon of the Word to kiss the altar. Go to chair. Do the strophes for the Penitential Rite. Sit down and listen to the First Reading and Responsorial Psalm.

Then the altar server came for the celebrate to put incense in the thurible. I almost went to the altar without getting my blessing but our wonderful MC gently reminded me. I picked up the Book of the Gospels and followed the altar servers (who are sons of a brother Sir Knight) and followed them to the ambo. I chanted the dialogue, incensed the Book of the Gospels, and proclaimed the Gospel of the day as I looked out at the sea of brother Knights and families. It was a wonderful sight to behold for sure! I then brought the Book of the Gospels to Cardinal DiNardo to kiss and then took my seat to listen to his inspiring homily. What an eloquent speaker! I then helped with distribution of the Precious Blood during Communion and chanted the dismissal at the end of Mass. It was an amazing and humbling experience for me and got me excited about the next two years in my role as the Assistant to the State Chaplain. I cannot thank my brother Deacon Simon enough for his guidance and help before and during Mass.

After Mass, while my wife was at the Ladies' Luncheon, I spent time in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. It was so special to do a Holy Hour at a convention, in a hotel. Then, after a nice nap, we got ready for the State Banquet. The grand ballroom was filled with brother Knights and their families. We were mingling with others, taking pictures, and "shooting the breeze" when all of a sudden the song - "The Yellow Rose of Texas" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZRisGHL7ow) blasted from the speakers and everyone stood up and started clapping to the beat. I want like: "what is going on?" and then I saw the State Officers and clergy come in. The atmosphere was electrifying! The banquet was so much fun. The food was delicious. The presentations were inspiring. I particularly enjoyed the keynote speaker's - Supreme Advocate John A. Marrella - talk on the Eucharist. It was well-done, informative, and inspiring. He did a fantastic job putting his speech together.

Day 3 started with Mass. This time it was the State Chaplain, his Excellency Bishop Michael Sis (San Angelo) who celebrated the Mass. I was once again the Deacon of the Word and Deacon Simon was the Deacon of the Altar. Bishop Sis gave a beautiful homily in which he encouraged all of us to examine our own relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Are we grafted to Jesus the True Vine? One when our words and deeds are grafted to Jesus Christ will the bear fruit for eternal life. After Mass, the incoming State Chaplain Bishop Mike Mulvey, Associate Chaplain Fr. Tommy Chen, and I (Assistant to the State Chaplain) took pictures with the incoming State Deputy Ron Alonzo and his wife and First Lady, Margo. took a group picture. My wife and I then headed back to Austin because we had a Sacrament of Marriage class to teach that afternoon. The State Convention was so much fun! We left with many great memories and wonderful new friends. #VivatJesus

[Funny story: I was walking through the Mass with Bishop Sis and he asked which parish I am from. When he found out that Fr. Charlie Garza was my pastor, he wanted a picture of us to send to Fr. Charlie. I will only do the "Gig-em" hand-sign for Bishop. Hahaha] #hookem \m/





No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...