Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Maui: It was never enough.

I was watching the Disney movie - "Moana" - the other night and, although I have seen the movie many times before but for some reason, this dialogue between Maui and Moana struck me (see below).

Maui: [talking about his past] I wasn't born a demi-god. I had human parents. They took one look and they decided... that they did not want me. So, they threw me into the ocean like I was nothing. Somehow, I was rescued by the Gods. They gave me the fish hook. They made me...
[exaltant]
Maui: ..."Maui".
[talking normally]
Maui: So... Back to the humans I went. I gave them everything. Islands, fire and coconuts. Heh, everything they can never get enough of.
Moana: You stole the heart... for them. Because you wanted to be loved...
Maui: [solemnly] It was *never* enough.

In particular, when Maui solemnly said, "It was never enough." This scene in the movie made me think of our Lord and our God and how He is always faithful even when we are not faithful to Him. Throughout salvation history, God entered to covenants with his people that they end up breaking time and time again. Then, out of love for us, the Father sent this only Son (John 3:16) and His people crucified Him on the Cross.

Even now, God remains faithful to us yet, time and time again, we turn our backs on Him, abandon our faith, and even distrust Him, even when it is really our fault, our waywardness, and our fallen nature. Our Father in heaven loves us, created us, sustains us, gives us dominion over His Creation, and show us great mercy and, yet, we can easily and quickly abandon Him when things do not go our way in life. This anecdote from Fr. Charlie comes to mind about a young adult who decided to turn his back on God because his sports team did not win after he prayed to God for his team to win.

We are a finicky people and, indeed, nothing is ever enough for us sometimes. Thankfully for us, God is always faithful and will never abandon us, always there waiting with open arms for us to return to Him. Therefore, let us be grateful people - grateful to God, grateful for our life, grateful for our family and friends. . . let us be grateful people.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...