Saturday, October 15, 2022

Deacon Retreat 2022 (Part 2)

Today, during our afternoon time for reflection, prayer, and relaxation, like last fall, I did my St. Vincent de Paul Walk for the Poor walk while praying the Rosary for the intentions of my benefactors and others. I took a different route this year, walking to the end of the long driveway that leads to the retreat center grounds and back, then to Saint Clare Prayer Garden, and then to the Adoration Chapel. In a complete God moment, I ended the Rosary inside the Chapel and knelt before the Blessed Sacrament to pray for my benefactors and others. It was a grace-filled moment. I am going to miss that Adoration Chapel after it is torn down. My wife and I spent a lot of time in there during Diaconal Formation for Mass and Holy Hour.

Going back to praying the Rosary, I prayed the Joyful Mysteries and with each Mystery, I meditated on the Scripture passages that came to mind for each Mystery and reflected on them through the eyes of our Blessed Mother Mary.

The First Joyful Mystery - the Annunciation (Luke 1:38) - Mary's Fiat

Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.”

The Second Joyful Mystery - the Visitation (Luke 1:46-47) - Mary's Magnificat

And Mary said: “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior."

The Third Joyful Mystery - the Nativity of the Lord (Luke 2:10-14) - the Word was Made Flesh and Dwelt Among

The angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For today in the city of David a savior has been born for you who is Messiah and Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying: “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

The Fourth Joyful Mystery - the Presentation of the Lord (Luke 2:29-35) - Simeon's Prophecy and the Sorrow of Mary

“Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace, according to your word, for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you prepared in sight of all the peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel. . . and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted (and you yourself a sword will pierce) so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

The Fifth Joyful Mystery - the Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:48-51) - the Heart of Mary

When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” But they did not understand what he said to them. He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...