Sunday, September 11, 2022

Lost sheep

Sisters and brothers in Christ, in todays Gospel (the shorter version), we read how the shepherd leaves the 99 sheep to go after the 1 lost sheep and how the woman who has 10 coins and loses 1 coin searches everywhere for her lost coin. Afterwards, they rejoice for they have found what was lost! Indeed, we rejoice as the angels do for one sinner who repents and returns to God.

For me, I include in the category of the lost sheep "cultural" Catholics who "identify" as Catholic on paper but attend Mass occasionally or when time permits. These are the lukewarm Catholics who are okay with mediocrity when it comes to living out their faith and do not actively participate in the mission of the Church that Jesus gave them at their Baptism.

I see a lot of these "cultural" Catholics among the couples that come to us for CTBO Marriage Class. I affirm their desire to get their careers on track and to enjoy life while they are young, have money, and can travel. However, I also pray for them and, every chance I get, I encourage them to go (return) to Mass and to do so regularly and to pray for each other and with each other.

Who are the lost sheep in your family? How are you being Jesus for them? How are you going after them and bringing them back into God's sheepfold? Have you extended an invitation to them to join you for Mass? Invited them to attend the various events at the parish or participate in the activities and ministries available? Most of all, are you leading others to Jesus by the example of your own life, in service of God and his Church? This is a mission that Jesus has given to all of us and he gave us this example in today's Gospel parables.

. . .

Gospel of the Day

Tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to Jesus,
but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying,
“This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
So to them he addressed this parable.
“What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them
would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert
and go after the lost one until he finds it?
And when he does find it,
he sets it on his shoulders with great joy
and, upon his arrival home,
he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
I tell you, in just the same way
there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents
than over ninety-nine righteous people
who have no need of repentance.
“Or what woman having ten coins and losing one
would not light a lamp and sweep the house,
searching carefully until she finds it?
And when she does find it,
she calls together her friends and neighbors
and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’
In just the same way, I tell you,
there will be rejoicing among the angels of God
over one sinner who repents.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith, the Path that Leads to Jesus Christ

This past weekend, I joined 33 deacons from across the Diocese of Austin for our annual deacons retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belt...