Monday, September 12, 2022

Holy Sacrifice of the Mass

Sisters and brothers in Christ, today is the Memorial of the Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

I have heard many people say at all religions are the same but, when I hear this from Catholics, I know in my heart that they do not appreciate the true beauty of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. We only need to listen to Saint Paul's words to the Corinthians, which echoes the words of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ at the Last Supper.

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you,
that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over,
took bread and, after he had given thanks,
broke it and said, "This is my Body that is for you.
Do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying,
"This cup is the new covenant in my Blood.
Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup,
you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

In these words of Consecration, the bread and wine, made by human hands, becomes the Body and Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Only in the Catholic Mass is Jesus present with us, what we call the Real Presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

When Catholics truly know this and feel this in our hearts, then we would appreciate the Mass and know what it means to be Catholic. We attend Mass not to listen to good hymns or homilies but to give God praise and thanksgiving. God, in His infinite love and mercy, nourishes us with His words and, most of all, His Body and Blood. When we truly allow the Mass to permeate us - mind, body, soul, and spirit - we would know how unworthy we are to be called to participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. For indeed, "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be heal."

. . .

Gospel of the Day

When Jesus had finished all his words to the people,
he entered Capernaum.
A centurion there had a slave who was ill and about to die,
and he was valuable to him.
When he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to him,
asking him to come and save the life of his slave.
They approached Jesus and strongly urged him to come, saying,
"He deserves to have you do this for him,
for he loves our nation and he built the synagogue for us."
And Jesus went with them,
but when he was only a short distance from the house,
the centurion sent friends to tell him,
"Lord, do not trouble yourself,
for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof.
Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you;
but say the word and let my servant be healed.
For I too am a person subject to authority,
with soldiers subject to me.
And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes;
and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes;
and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."
When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him
and, turning, said to the crowd following him,
"I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith."
When the messengers returned to the house,
they found the slave in good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith, the Path that Leads to Jesus Christ

This past weekend, I joined 33 deacons from across the Diocese of Austin for our annual deacons retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belt...