Monday, October 21, 2024

Faith, the Path that Leads to Jesus Christ

This past weekend, I joined 33 deacons from across the Diocese of Austin for our annual deacons retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belton, TX. I was hoping to take the entire day off but, unfortunately, I could not because of a deadline at work. However, I was still able to make it to the retreat in time for Evening Prayer. After Evening Prayer, we had our first session with our retreat director, Deacon Bob Rice, PhD. Then, we all walked to the Adoration Chapel for Holy Hour.

It was already dark outside as we walked to the Adoration Chapel. I realized that I had left my flashlight was in my room; however, I was not too worried because I walked that path to the Adoration Chapel many times before. As you can see from the picture below, the path to the Adoration Chapel is below me and, at with, it can be very dark, especially when the lampposts are not lit. Well, the lampposts were not lit but I was still able to make out the path from the moonlight and from the lights that emanated from the Adoration Chapel. And so, I followed the path to our Lord Jesus Christ who awaited us in the Blessed Sacrament.

I reflected on this during Holy Hour and the Holy Spirit placed this on my heart. As we go through life, our path can be dimmed (and even darkened) by sin and life experiences that pulls us away from the love and mercy of God. We can feel that we are undeserving of God's forgiveness. During times when things seemingly appear to be darkest, that is when it is so important for us we lean on our faith in God, even if our faith is the size of a mustard seed. We we do, the Holy Spirit will see us through the darkness into the light of our Lord Jesus Christ and God's loving presence.

Jesus said, "if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you”  (Matthew 7:20). Faith gives us hope because, by faith, we know that we are adopted sons and daughters of the Father through our Baptism and God loves us as the apple of His eyes. If He did not, then why would He have adopted us as His sons and daughters through His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in the Holy Spirit? And so, in times of difficulties and challenges, keep the faith and it will lead to Jesus because "God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all" (1 John 1:5).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith, the Path that Leads to Jesus Christ

This past weekend, I joined 33 deacons from across the Diocese of Austin for our annual deacons retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belt...