Monday, September 16, 2024

Two by Two - A Reflection on "The Chosen" (S3:E2)


In this episode, we find the disciples in Capernaum after Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Matthew and his parents reconcile with each other. However, the moment in the episode that struck me the most is when Jesus and the Twelve Apostles are gathered in Peter's house and Jesus sends them out two by two (Mark 6:7-13; ). We can see the fear in their faces, the anxiety on their hearts, and the doubt in their minds. Peter glances nervously at this wife, Eden, as Jesus assigns each of them their partner and to which territory each pair will go to for their missionary work of spreading the Good News of the Gospel. Jesus trusted these "ordinary" men to share in his mission to go forth and do extraordinary work - to teach and preach, heal, and drive out demons in his name and with his authority. What about us? If we were in the shoes of the Apostles and Jesus sends us out two by two with "no food, no sack, no money. . . [and] not a second tunic," how would we respond?

Afterwards, in a tender moment with Little James, Jesus affirms him and tells Little James that he trusts that he will do great things for God despite his own physical limitations. (Psalms 139:14 - I praise you, because I am wonderfully made; wonderful are your works! My very self you know.) Jesus reminds Little James that no matter the circumstances of our life, we endure in this life for the sake of the kingdom of heaven in eternal life. (Job 1:21 - The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD!) It is easy for us to be grateful to God in good times; however, do we have hearts filled with gratitude for God in bad times. That is the challenge for us: how can we still be faithful witnesses of God's love and mercy in the midst of our own challenges and difficulties in life? We can but only by the grace of God through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. (Philippians 4:13 - I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.)

The episode ended with Peter assuming his role as the leader of the Apostles as he gathered them together to pray Psalm 3:

How many are my foes, LORD!
How many rise against me!
How many say of me,
"There is no salvation for him in God.”

But you, LORD, are a shield around me;
my glory, you keep my head high.

With my own voice I will call out to the LORD,
and he will answer me from his holy mountain.

I lie down and I fall asleep,
[and] I will wake up, for the LORD sustains me.
I do not fear, then, thousands of people
arrayed against me on every side.

Arise, LORD! Save me, my God!
For you strike the cheekbone of all my foes;
you break the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation is from the LORD!
May your blessing be upon your people!

They are afraid, but they trust in Jesus. They refuse to shy away from the mission that Jesus has given them. Rather, they went deeper in their relationships with their Father in heaven and with each other, and draw strength from this Communion. It is the same way that we come together for Mass to deepen our relationship with God and with each other, to receive the Eucharist at Holy Communion, and then allow ourselves to be sent forth by Jesus into mission territory. Do not be afraid. Have faith. Trust Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...