Monday, August 19, 2024

Dearest Goddaughter (LTR-96) - Come, follow me

Dearest Goddaughter,

In today's Gospel, we, like the young man, learn from our Lord Jesus Christ what it takes to be his disciple and, thus, gain eternal life. It takes more than just knowing Scriptures and the commandments of God. To come, follow me requires a radical change in our way to living, to let go of the "many possessions" in our lives so that they do not distract us from what is most important of all - our relationship with our Lord and our God.

These "many possessions" can be material possessions that cling unto so dearly in our lives. However, it can also be things that we invest so much of our time in. For example, when I started Diaconal Formation, the classes were on Saturdays and, as a huge Texas Longhorns football fan, that meant not being able to watch the games on T.V. because I was in class. It was challenging at first; however, over, time, I desire watching the games less and less compared to attending Diaconal Formation classes or other activities related to Formation.

The time in Formation, when I had to deny my "many possessions" helped me later on to be able to put the responsibilities and obligations of diaconal ministry before my own desires. It was a radical change in lifestyle but I am blessed by it and, dare I say, better off for it. Therefore, let us not be afraid to let go of our "many possessions" in life to come, follow Jesus because, when we do, we will have treasure in heaven that are more valuable than any possessions we will ever obtain on earth.

Love,

Bỏ Phúc

P.S. These are the readings for the day: EZ 24:15-23 and MT 19:16-22 (see below).
. . .
A young man approached Jesus and said,
“Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?”
He answered him, “Why do you ask me about the good?
There is only One who is good.
If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
He asked him, “Which ones?”
And Jesus replied, “You shall not kill;
you shall not commit adultery;
you shall not steal;
you shall not bear false witness;
honor your father and your mother;
and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
The young man said to him,
“All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?”
Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go,
sell what you have and give to the poor,
and you will have treasure in heaven.
Then come, follow me.”
When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad,
for he had many possessions.




1 comment:

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...