Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Dearest Goddaughter (LTR-80) - Come Holy Spirit You are Welcome Here

Dearest Goddaughter,

Jesus tells us that there is "[no] greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends." In today's Gospel, we read that Paul and Silas did exactly that when they refused to escape even though the great earthquake shook the jail, caused all the doors to fly open and the chains to be pulled loose. As Deacon Ron W. reflected in his homily this morning, they were willing to die themselves to save the life of their jailer.

Paul and Silas did not see the jailer as their enemy but a friend for whom they are willing to lay down their own lives to save his. Their act of compassion, kindness, and love moved their jailer to a deep conversion in his heart: "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" To which, Paul and Silas responded, saying: "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved." They were certainly filled with the gifts of the Holy Spirit - wisdom, knowledge, understanding, counsel, piety, fortitude, and fear of the Lord.

The Holy Spirit is given to us at Baptism but it is at Confirmation that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit to live courageously as followers of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. However, like the song tells us, we have to invite and welcome the Holy Spirit into our lives - "Come Holy Spirit, you are welcome here. . ." - and activate the graces of the Sacraments that we received so that we can truly be like Paul and Silas and be ever more conformed to Jesus in all that we say and do.

 Love,

Bỏ Phúc

P.S. These are the readings for the day: Acts 16:22-34 and Jn 16:5-11 (see below)
. . .
Jesus said to his disciples:
"Now I am going to the one who sent me,
and not one of you asks me, 'Where are you going?'
But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts.
But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go.
For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you.
But if I go, I will send him to you.
And when he comes he will convict the world
in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation:
sin, because they do not believe in me;
righteousness, because I am going to the Father
and you will no longer see me;
condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned."



1 comment:

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...