Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Dearest Goddaughter (LTR-77) - Be bold. Be Catholic.

Dearest Goddaughter,

After Stephen was stoned to death, followers of Christ scattered because of the "severe persecution." However, the apostles remained and, those who did scattered, like Philip, continue to preach the word and proclaim Christ to the people. 

I am reminded of all the Christians who continue to die for faith in Christ all over the world - back then and now. However, they are never lost to Christ who said in today's Gospel: "And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day." The heroic Christians are with Jesus in heaven.

Christ calls to be bold witnesses of his love and mercy in today's society and world, even in the face of persecution, mockery, and an unfaithful and godless nation. And while we are not all called to martyrdom, we die to ourselves each day so that our lives can be renewed in Christ, who gives of himself to us in the Eucharist so that we have the courage and strength to be authentic witness like the faithful followers of Christ before us. 

Love,

Bỏ Phúc

P.S. These are the readings for the day: Acts 8:1b-8 and Jn 6:35-40 (see below)
. . .
Jesus said to the crowds,
"I am the bread of life;
whoever comes to me will never hunger,
and whoever believes in me will never thirst.
But I told you that although you have seen me,
you do not believe.
Everything that the Father gives me will come to me,
and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,
because I came down from heaven not to do my own will
but the will of the one who sent me.
And this is the will of the one who sent me,
that I should not lose anything of what he gave me,
but that I should raise it on the last day.
For this is the will of my Father,
that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him
may have eternal life,
and I shall raise him on the last day."



1 comment:

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...