Friday, March 22, 2024

Reflecting on Adoration during Lenten Penance Service (3/21/2024)

As I approached my 5th anniversary as a deacon, and in the busyness of secular work and active ministry, I am reminded of what my Diaconal Formation Directors once told me during one of my annual interviews. They emphasized the importance of feeling God's presence in my life, especially in the busyness of life. I once had a co-worker who was Jewish and, every year, he took off work to observe Yom Kippur. That got me wondering, perhaps I should take off work to observe Holy Week every year. I have not done that yet. The most I have done is take the morning of Tuesday of Holy Week to attend the Chrism Mass. My office gives us 1/2 day off on Good Friday but I have been taking that 1/2 day off to I can participate fully in Good Friday.

Since Ordination, on March 30, 2019, Holy Week has been a blessing but also hectic because work has been busy, except perhaps 2020. In 2020, at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Holy Week was strange to say the least. I missed participating fully in the Sacred Triduum for the first time in years. To watch the Easter Vigil from home was very odd to me. Then in 2021, Holy Week was busy as we were preparing for an in-person jury trial in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. The setting got moved from April to July so that provided some relief. Then, in 2022, we had a May jury trial setting that we were preparing for so it was another Holy Week in the "trenches" of secular work. Finally, in 2023, we had another May jury trial setting that got moved to September before the case settled before we had to pick a jury. So, three years, three jury trials, and God was with me through it all with His peace and consolation so that I can serve in ministry in the midst of the busyness of secular work.

This year, Lent has been a quiet one with my secular work compared to the past 3 years. However, we do have a 2-day hearing on Monday and Tuesday of Holy Week, which we are in the full swing of preparing at this time. This brings to last night's Penance Service. It was a busy work day with preparation for a hearing so I was glad to spend the evening with our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. I had the blessed opportunity to do Exposition, Adoration, Benediction, and Reposition of the Blessed Sacrament for this evening's Penance Service.

Here are some "nuggets" during my Holy (2) Hour:

1. Jesus made a claim which only God can make - "if any one keeps my word, he will never see death." St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430 AD), explains this verse from John 8:51:

"It means nothing less than he saw another death from which he came to free us - the second death, eternal death, the death of hell, the death of the damned, which is shared with the devil and his angels! This is the real death; the other kind of death is only a passage" (Tractates on the Gospel of John 43.10-11).

Dcn. Phúc: I am reminded of a story about Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta. She and her sisters of charity were so busy helping the poor and sick, so much so that her sisters said something about it to her. Rather than ease their prayer hours, Mother Teresa added another holy hour and that made all the difference. It is when we are so busy that we need time for prayer even more than ever, which was why the 2-hour Adoration / Holy Hour was exactly what I needed during a busy work week at the office.
. . .
2. [Hint: we are the messianic people.] "This messianic people, then, though it does not in fact embrace all mankind and often seems to be a tiny flock, is yet the enduring source of unity, hope and salvation for the whole human race. It is established by Christ as a communion of life, of love and of truth; it is also used by him as an instrument for the redemption of all, and is sent out into the whole world as the light of the world and the salt of the earth." (Lumen Gentium, cited in the Office of Readings)

Dcn. Phúc: One of our good friends have a daughter that was in gymnastics and she would describe her daughter as "tiny but mighty." While those of us who follow our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ faithfully are smaller compared to the "nones" and "religious unaffiliated", we are mighty because God is with us. Moreover, as the quote from "Lumen Gentium" reminds us, God uses us as "an instrument for the redemption" of the whole world. That is our purpose, my sisters and brothers in Christ, to love God and love our neighbors, and through our faithfulness, do our part in helping Jesus' work of salvation.
. . .
3. Many sorrows has the wicked †
but he who trusts in the Lord, *
loving mercy surrounds him.

Rejoice, rejoice in the Lord, *
exult, you just!
O come, ring out your joy, *
all you upright of heart. (Psalm 32, Evening Prayer)

Dcn. Phúc: Trust and rejoice in the Lord always. We are an Easter people. People will know we are Christians by our love because God loves us first. [Read more here: https://dcnphuc2019.blogspot.com/2024/03/homily-for-fifth-sunday-of-lent-year.html #homily]
. . .
4. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

May the God of peace make you perfect in holiness. May he preserve you whole and entire, spirit, soul, and body, irreproachable at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Night Prayer)

Dcn. Phúc: Even in the busyness of life, I feel God's loving presence and peace but that is because of my prayer life and spirituality that I have had to continue to grow in every day. I cannot imagine going through a stressful day or facing obstacles in life without Jesus by my side. I am grateful that Christ is my companion on my journey through life. Jesus, I trust in you.
. . .
5. Lord God,
send peaceful sleep
to refresh our tired bodies.
May your help always renew us
and keep us strong in your service.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
— Amen. (Night Prayer)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...