Friday, October 27, 2023

Reflecting on the CTFCM's Benefit Dinner (10/26/2023)

My wife and I almost did not attend the Benefit Dinner. Originally, I had a trial setting that would have precluded me from attending the Benefit Dinner. However, the case settle but then I had forgotten about the Benefit Dinner. One of the representative from Central Texas Fellowship of Catholic Men (CTFCM) reached out to me and asked if my wife and I could attend. We checked out calendar and said we could.

I am glad we were able to attend because one of our good friends and fellow parishioner at Saint Albert the Great Catholic Church was nominated for the inaugural Catholic Man of the Year award. We were blessed to be there to support him and his wife, and enjoyed a good meal and conversations with them and others at the Benefit Dinner.

Bishop Joe Vasquez led us in the Invocation and shared some opening remarks. Fr. James Misko shared some closing remarks and led us in a closing prayer. I love being Catholic because we always start with prayer and end with prayer. The keynote speaker was David Bereit, founder of 40 Days for Life, and he gave an amazing, energized presentation, talking about how the culture in America is heading in the wrong direction with (1) decrease in participate in religion, (2) increase in (sexual) immorality, (3) the decline of the family, and (4) a disregard for the sanctity and dignity of human life. Mr. Bereit said that these are all things that left to the decline of other cultures throughout human history (based on his research).

Mr. Bereit said that we must get into the game and do what we can to right the ship, and it must start men of faith, devoted to God, his spouse, his family, and missionary work, which our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ calls us to do as his followers and disciples. In particular, I love this mission statement / call to action (paraphrasing):

When we strengthen the man, we strengthen the family.
When we strengthen the family, we strengthen the Church.
When we strengthen the Church, we transform the culture (and society).

I an grateful to the CTFCM for all they do to strengthen the faith of men through the Men's Mass, Men's Conference, faith-sharing small groups, and not the Benefit Dinner. I have attended many Men's Masses and Conferences over the years and it has helped to strengthen my faith and shape my diaconal ministry. I would encourage all men to attend these Masses and Conferences and bring their sons, grandsons, nephews, cousins, etc., and invite other men to join them.

Here is a click to learn more about the Central Texas Fellowship of Catholic Men (CTFCM) and their mission: https://centexcatholic.com/.

Congratulations to all the men (and their wives) for being nominated for Catholic Man of the Year!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...