Monday, February 20, 2023

10 Things for a Transformative Lent (UPDATED 2/7/2024)

10 Things for a Transformative Lent (UPDATED 2/7/2024)

These are the 10 things I plan to do during Lent to grow closer in my relationship with God, with my wife and others, to grow in my prayer life and spirituality, and to develop better habits (in no particular order).

1. Pray this blessing over my wife every morning. 

    May the Lord bless you and keep you!
    May the Lord let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you!
    May the Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace! (Numbers 6:24-26)

2. Spend 1 hour each evening reading a Catholic book.

3. Call my parents (and others) more regularly.

4. Spend at least 30 minutes in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament every day, including pray the Rosary.

5. Be more consistent with Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours.

6. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep a night.

7. Increase corporal works of mercy.

8. Work out (cardio) at least 15 minutes each day.

9.  UPDATE: Listen to "Bible in a Year" or "Catechism in a Year" podcast (or some other Catholic podcast) daily.

10. Pray and fast for one particular person every day of Lent (from Marcel LeJeune, 2/20/2023)

UPDATE (2/7/2024): What is your Lenten Discipline Plan? For Lent 2024, as I shared in my homily (see links below), I want to give up worrying. I want to let go and let God. I want to "[walk] very simply with the Cross of the Lord and be at peace with [myself]" (St. Francis de Sales). I am worried,though, that I will not be able to give up worrying for Lent. How ironic?! Fortunately, I have formed my Lenten discipline plan. I plan to read Gary Zimak’s book, “Give Up Worry for Lent: 40 Days to Finding Peace in Christ.” I plan to attend our Parish Lenten Mission next month, featuring Catholic speaker, author, and radio host - Gary Zimak. I plan to do what he suggests in earnest. I am off to a good start so far! I have already purchased my copy of Gary Zimak’s book. I also have the Parish Lenten Mission on my calendar.

Link to Gary Zimak's book on Ave Maria Press: https://www.avemariapress.com/products/give-up-worry-for-lent

Click to read: https://dcnphuc2019.blogspot.com/2024/01/homily-for-fourth-sunday-in-ordinary.html #homily

Click to listen:
https://phucphan.podbean.com/e/homily-for-the-fourth-sunday-in-ordinary-time-year-b-1282024/ #Lent #Homily




No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...