Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Unburden yourself and rest in Christ

Sisters and brothers in Christ, when I look at my calendar and see that I am on schedule to serve at Mass in the evening, like tonight's Vigil of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, certain thoughts run through my mind, such as will I make it to Mass in time or I am too tired to serve at Mass after a long day at work. However, it never fails that when I arrive at the church and put on my vestment and prepare to serve, I feel rejuvenated, renewed, and refreshed because the "yoke" of Jesus is easy.

I am convinced that this is what Jesus means when he says, "Come to me, all you you labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest." Like John the Evangelist, who rested his head on Jesus' heart at the Last Supper, we, too, can rest our head on Jesus's Sacred Heart. Therefore, I would encourage all my sisters and brothers in Christ to take the challenge of going to Mass before or after work. Not only will you not feel tired but you will reinvigorated because, when we "yoke" ourselves to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, we will find that he lightens our burden because He does the heavy lifting for us.

Moreover, no matter how tired we are at night, especially after a particularly long day's work, when we spend a few minutes with Jesus in prayer, we will discover that we will have a restful sleep. How? Because when we spend time in prayer, we unburden ourselves of the day's labor, offering our daily challenges and problems up to God, and He gives us rest.
. . .
Gospel of the Day

Jesus said to the crowds:
“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...