Tuesday, December 13, 2022

The penitent son

Sisters and brothers in Christ, when we say "yes" to one thing, we also say "no" to something else. When I was in high school, I was a big NBA basketball fan. My favorite team was the Chicago Bulls (with Michael Jordan) and I watched a lot of basketball games on the weekends, especially during the playoffs. I remember one time, my mom and two younger brothers were going to my dad's workplace to visit him. I told me home that I would stay home because I was watching a playoff game on T.V. As they were getting into the car, I had a change of heart and quickly changed and jumped in the car with them. We had a fun time visiting my dad that afternoon, and we did it together as a family.

Today's Gospel not only reminds us that when we say "yes" to something else in our life, we also say "no" to God's will for our life. Fortunately for us, like the penitent son, we have a lifetime to change our mind and follow our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. However, we do not know when our life will be demanded of us (Luke 12:20); therefore, why wait for tomorrow what we can do today? The season of Advent is a penitential season, a time for us to reconcile with loved ones but, most of all, to reconcile with God as we prepare for the anniversary of his birth and wait for his Second Coming.

Jesus tells us that "there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance" (Luke 15:7). God delights in us, His children, and nothing brings Him more joy than for us to turn away from sin and temptation and return to Him. The Father desires us to strive for holiness and be imitators of our Lord Jesus Christ and the saints and be with him in Paradise. The alternative is to deny Him and follow the Fallen One - Satan - and face damnation for all eternity. Let us be like our Blessed Mother Mary and say "yes" to God.
. . .
Gospel of the Day

Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people:
“What is your opinion? 
A man had two sons. 
He came to the first and said,
‘Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.’ 
The son said in reply, ‘I will not,’
but afterwards he changed his mind and went. 
The man came to the other son and gave the same order. 
He said in reply, ‘Yes, sir,’ but did not go. 
Which of the two did his father’s will?” 
They answered, “The first.” 
Jesus said to them, “Amen, I say to you,
tax collectors and prostitutes
are entering the Kingdom of God before you. 
When John came to you in the way of righteousness,
you did not believe him;
but tax collectors and prostitutes did. 
Yet even when you saw that,
you did not later change your minds and believe him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...