Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Ranking a "A Christmas Carol" (Dcn. Phúc Edition)

Like many families, one of our Christmas traditions is to watch "A Christmas Carol". At first, it was just the 1984 made for T.V. movie with George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge. Since the, I have included other versions in my collection.

Here is my ranking of the "A Christmas Carol" movies that I have watched. Let me know your favorite version of "A Christmas Carol".

5. "A Flinstones Christmas Carol" (1994) - Fred's attitude annoyed more than anything but that has been his character for as I as I have watched "The Flinstones". Overall the movie was enjoyable.
 
4. "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (1983) - A classic short film with Scrooge McDuck and Mickey that is fun for the entire family.

3. Disney's "A Christmas Carol" (2009) with Jim Carrey - Visually spectacular and a rollercoaster thrill ride. The encounter between Bob Cratchit & Ebenezer Scrooge (Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come) was a tear-jerker. Also, the soundtrack is amazing. I downside for me was how Scrooge treated Belle - very cold, colder than any of the other versions that I have seen. The Jim Carrey version was actually my second favorite for many years until I watched the The Muppet version that is the current #2.

2. "The Muppet Christmas Carol" (1992) with Michael Caine and the Muppets - I was never a big fan of The Muppets growing up so this probably was a factor in my not watching this version until this year. The movie is fun, the Muppet characters are great (I particularly like the Ghost of Christmas Present), and Michael Caine does a wonderful job as Ebenezer Scrooge. However, that I enjoyed the most about the movie is the music and the songs, so many catchy tunes that I find myself humming after I watched the movie.

1. "A Christmas Carol" (1984) with George C. Scott - This is by far my favorite version, so much so that I put the DVD on my Christmas wish list. Now I have a copy of the movie on DVD that I can enjoy every Christmas. George C. Scott is magnificent as Ebenezer Scrooge, from cruel and indifferent to remorseful and repentant, Mr. Scott's Ebenezer Scrooge commands every scene is he in. This version of "A Christmas Carol" is truly about Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation after his encounters with the Ghosts. I highly recommend this for all families.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...