Thursday, December 22, 2022

Mary's Magnifcat

Sisters and brothers in Christ, Luke 1:46-47 is the Scripture verse that I have on my prayer card when I was ordained a permanent deacon in the Catholic Church. It reminds me that, like Mary, I should always proclaim God's greatness and rejoice in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ because, in my weakness and lowliness, He calls me to serve Him and his faithful people in a special way. I am honor and grateful for this tremendous privilege.

It is also a reminder for me to be humble and obedient not only to my Bishop but more importantly to the Catholic Church and all that she professes and teaches to be the Truth. This was the promise that I made at my Ordination and, by the grace of God, I intend to keep that promise. And, to be honest, I struggle when I read about priests/deacons not being obedient to their bishops or bishops not being obedient to the Holy Father. I am not talking about blind obedience but obedient out of faith and reverence for our Lord Jesus Christ and his one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. Mary should always be our model for obedience.

Finally, our Father in heaven keeps His promises, as we hear Mary proclaim in her Magnificat, saying: "He has come to the help of his servant Israel for he remembered his promise of mercy, the promise he made to our fathers, to Abraham and his children for ever." Our hope is in the promise of the Lord, and what does He promise us?

6 Promises Of God Every Christian Should Know

1. God will never leave you.  Deuteronomy 31:6 
2. God will always protect you. 2 Thessalonians 3:3
3. God will give you strength for every battle. Isaiah 40:31
4. God will give you the graces necessary to endure all suffering.  2 Corinthians 12:9
5. God will forgive you even when you have sinned against Him.  1 John 1:9
6. God will never stop loving you. Ephesians 3:17-19

[Source: CatholicLink]
. . .
Gospel of the Day

Mary said:

    “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
        my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
        for he has looked upon his lowly servant.
    From this day all generations will call me blessed:
        the Almighty has done great things for me,
        and holy is his Name.
        He has mercy on those who fear him
        in every generation.
    He has shown the strength of his arm,
        and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
    He has cast down the mighty from their thrones
        and has lifted up the lowly.
    He has filled the hungry with good things,
        and the rich he has sent away empty.
    He has come to the help of his servant Israel
        for he remembered his promise of mercy,
        the promise he made to our fathers,
        to Abraham and his children for ever.”

Mary remained with Elizabeth about three months
and then returned to her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...