Friday, December 16, 2022

Final preparations while we wait

Sisters and brothers in Christ, through our Baptism, we are called to be the light of Christ in the world and, at the same time, bring the light of Christ into the world. We become the light of Christ in the world when we invite God to dwell in our heart, transform our life, and be docile to the movement of the Holy Spirit so that God's will is reflected in our will.

We bring the light of Christ into the world through our words but, more importantly, through our actions, in the corporal and spiritual works of mercy that we perform in our daily living. Our Lord tells us through the Prophet Isaiah, in today's first reading:

"Observe what is right, do what is just;
for my salvation is about to come,
my justice, about to be revealed.
Blessed is the man who does this,
the son of man who holds to it;
Who keeps the sabbath free from profanation,
and his hand from any evildoing."

Like the saints before us, our light much always direct others to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and never to us. Like John the Baptist, we must decrease so that Christ can increase in us because Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. I have started a tradition of praying the Surrender Novena leading up to the celebration of Christmas to help me with final preparations in the last week of Advent.
. . .
Gospel of the Day

Jesus said to the Jews:
“You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.
I do not accept testimony from a human being,
but I say this so that you may be saved.
John was a burning and shining lamp,
and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light.
But I have testimony greater than John’s.
The works that the Father gave me to accomplish,
these works that I perform testify on my behalf
that the Father has sent me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...