Thursday, October 27, 2022

Armor of God

Sisters and brothers in Christ, in today's Gospel, Jesus is undeterred by the Pharisee's warning to "Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you.” In fact, he was determined to complete the mission that his Father in heaven gave him, even in the face of harm to himself, saying: "I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow, and on the third day I accomplish my purpose. Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day. . ."

Christ is able to do this because his strength does not come from himself but from his Father in heaven. We are called to follow Christ's example, to be resolute in carrying out the great commission that our Lord gave us at our Baptism, drawing strength not from ourselves - for we are weak - but from our Father in heaven. Saint Paul tells us this in his Letter to the Ephesians, saying: "Draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power." Then he gives us a beautiful image of the "armor of God" that helps us to "stand firm against the tactics of the Devil" when we put it on.

This "armor of God" is something to behold:

- loins girded in truth
- clothed with righteousness as a breastplate
- feet shod in readiness for the Gospel of peace
- hold faith as a shield
- take the helmet of salvation
- the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

Most of all, Saint Paul tells us to "pray at every opportunity in the Spirit". All of this to help us speak the Truth of the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ with courage in the face of persecution.
. . .
Gospel of the Day

Some Pharisees came to Jesus and said,
“Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you.”
He replied, “Go and tell that fox,
‘Behold, I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow,
and on the third day I accomplish my purpose.
Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day,
for it is impossible that a prophet should die
outside of Jerusalem.’

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you,
how many times I yearned to gather your children together
as a hen gathers her brood under her wings,
but you were unwilling!
Behold, your house will be abandoned.
But I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say,
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...