Friday, September 30, 2022

Pain and suffering

Sisters and brothers in Christ, today is the Memorial of Saint Jerome, Priest and Doctor of the Church.

When you go through suffering, as Job did, or when we see loved ones and friends suffer, we often do not understand what God's will and plan is and why He would permit us to endure such things in our lives.  We forget that God's thoughts are not our thoughts nor his ways our ways which are much higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9).

Oftentimes, when we see someone suffering through illnesses, difficulties, or even death, we desire to console them or their loved ones by trying to assure them that there is good that can come out of this, they just need to trust in God's plan. However, that is probably the last thing that they might want to hear at the moment because the pain is so intense. In those moments, I often sit with them and pray with them (or pray for them in silence).

Yet, this is what God tells Job in today's first reading. While Job may only see and experience the here and now, God knows all and sees all. And, in humility, Job responds with faith and trust in God, saying: "Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth. Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more."

Therefore, in times of suffering and pain, may we never reject God but have faith in His goodness, hope in His promise, and know that He loves us and is there with us always, through the good and, especially in difficult and challenging times.
. . .
Gospel of the Day

Jesus said to them,
"Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida!
For if the mighty deeds done in your midst
had been done in Tyre and Sidon,
they would long ago have repented,
sitting in sackcloth and ashes.
But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon
at the judgment than for you.
And as for you, Capernaum, 'Will you be exalted to heaven?
You will go down to the netherworld.'
Whoever listens to you listens to me.
Whoever rejects you rejects me.
And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith, the Path that Leads to Jesus Christ

This past weekend, I joined 33 deacons from across the Diocese of Austin for our annual deacons retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belt...