Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Hear and act on the word of God

Sisters and brothers in Christ, after Mass on Sunday, several parishioners came to me asking for prayers for family members who have turned their backs on God and their Catholic faith because of the people that they surround themselves with.

After I prayed for them, I was reminded of the Israelites who allowed themselves to be led astray by the gods and idols of the nations that surrounded them, conquered them, or exiled them. We oftentimes allow ourselves to the sum of our experiences and those around us rather than the love of our Father in heaven.

I believe this is Jesus' message in today's (9/20) Gospel. Relationships with families and friends are important, but our relationship with God is most important of all. Thus, those who lead us on the path towards (and not away from) the Cross of Christ are our brothers and sisters in Christ. And these relationships are important as well.

I know this from experience because one of the people that formed my faith and put me on the path that led to Jesus was Lillian Butler (RIP 2008) many years ago. It is as Jesus said, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.”

. . .

Gospel of the Day

The mother of Jesus and his brothers came to him
but were unable to join him because of the crowd.
He was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside
and they wish to see you.”
He said to them in reply, “My mother and my brothers 
are those who hear the word of God and act on it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith, the Path that Leads to Jesus Christ

This past weekend, I joined 33 deacons from across the Diocese of Austin for our annual deacons retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belt...