Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Intercede for us

Sisters and brothers in Christ, today's (8/31) Gospel reveals the power of intercessory prayers - asking God (or Mother Mary or one of the saints) - to intervene for someone. We read that "Simon’s mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever, and they interceded with [Jesus] about her," and Christ healed her.

I see many on social media ask their friends to send good "vibes" and "juju" their way and, while I do not know how to do any of that, I can pray for them because they are basically asking for prayers. On a weekly basis, I post prayer requests and so that I can pray for the intentions of families and friends when I serve at Mass that week, especially Sunday Masses.

Of course, my go-to intercessor and advocate is the Blessed Virgin Mary or, as I like to call her, Mother Mary. She has come to my aide so many times and I just love her and I love turning to her in my time of need. The Memorare is one of my favorite Marian prayers because it reminds us of what a powerful intercessor Mother Mary is for all of us. Let us pray. . .

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known 
that anyone who fled to thy protection, 
implored thy help, 
or sought thy intercession, 
was left unaided. 
Inspired by this confidence 
I fly unto thee, 
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. 
To thee do I come, 
before thee I stand, 
sinful and sorrowful. 
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions, 
but in thy mercy hear and answer me. 
Amen.
. . .
Gospel of the Day

After Jesus left the synagogue, he entered the house of Simon.
Simon’s mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever,
and they interceded with him about her.
He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her.
She got up immediately and waited on them.

At sunset, all who had people sick with various diseases
brought them to him.
He laid his hands on each of them and cured them.
And demons also came out from many, shouting, “You are the Son of God.”
But he rebuked them and did not allow them to speak
because they knew that he was the Christ.

At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place.
The crowds went looking for him, and when they came to him,
they tried to prevent him from leaving them.
But he said to them, “To the other towns also
I must proclaim the good news of the Kingdom of God,
because for this purpose I have been sent.”
And he was preaching in the synagogues of Judea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith, the Path that Leads to Jesus Christ

This past weekend, I joined 33 deacons from across the Diocese of Austin for our annual deacons retreat at Cedarbrake Renewal Center in Belt...