Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Sisters and brothers in Christ

Sisters and brothers in Christ, I have two brothers who I adore and love dearly. We grew up playing LEGOs, Atari, Nintendo, rode bikes together, and watched afterschool cartoons and shared laughs. Over years, especially since coming into the Catholic Church, I have also gained spiritual brothers and sisters (my brother Knights, CRHP sisters and brothers, brother deacons, brother clergy, etc.). I am also blessed to be godfather (or spiritual father) to my godchildren, including my niece. These are my brothers and my sisters, as Jesus tells us in today's Gospel.

All of us, in our own way, discern God's will for us and our families and we do our best to help each other navigate this crazy world we live in. However, it can be challenging at times because of our human nature and experiences. In those moments when we find it difficult to love as we should, our Lord, in today's first reading, reminds us how ought to love one another as He loves us - do not persist in anger, have compassion for each other, pardon (forgive) one another, etc. When we do these things, it helps us to realize that we are on the same journey in life, seeking meaning and purpose, and helping each other to be the best version that we can be. After all, we are created in the image and likeness of our Father in heaven who is love and loves us.

. . .

While Jesus was speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers appeared outside, wishing to speak with him. Someone told him, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, asking to speak with you.” But he said in reply to the one who told him, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deacon Sunday - Homily for the Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B - 10/13/2024)

Good morning. When Peter said to Jesus: "We have given up everything and followed you," he is sharing with us the reality of a lif...